In 1943 a group of villagers began raising money through village functions. By 1947 the funds, augmented by surplus funds from the Home Guard, amounted to 618 pounds, 5 shillings and 11 pence. This was enough to allow the Parish Council to purchase the Church's land and create the "Playing Fields" as a formal body. As trustees, the Parish Council empowered a management committee to oversee the facilities' day-to-day running.
In the early years, two-thirds of the “Field” was developed, providing an area sufficient to allow football, cricket and bowls clubs to become tenants. The bowls club constructed a four rink bowling green which was to serve them for many years. A playground was added to provide a roundabout, swing and slide for children.
Pictured from left to right: Jim Burniston (Association President, John Hopwood (Vice President), Martin Hall (MD, Hall's Contractors), Kath Galtres (Vice President), Harry Barnes (Vice President), Lol Byworth (Vice President).
Those involved in organised sport began to demand improvements to the facilities, and plans were made for a quite radical extension of provision. Four hard tennis courts, a six rink bowling green, squash courts and a building with changing rooms, toilets and social facilities on the first floor were opened in 1972 by the Earl of Halifax. Support was good and much admired by visitors.
At this juncture, to secure the Playing Fields' future, the Parish Council decided to make a Declaration of Trust and register The Dunnington and Grimston Playing Fields as a charity. The document was signed, sealed and delivered on 4th June 1973.
In the 1990s, a lottery grant of £177,000 was awarded to Dunnington and Grimston Sports Club to help build a new bowls pavilion, cricket pavilion, disabled facilities, fitness suite, function room and steward's residence.
The grant helped create the marvellous facility we have today, used by many from the village and beyond.
To this day, Dunnington and Grimston Sports Club and all the sporting sections continue to be run by volunteer committees.